Providing advanced care for your nervous system
Your nervous system includes your brain, spinal column and nerves. Your nervous system helps you do conscious activities like thinking and moving. It also controls unconscious processes like your heartbeat and digestion.
When there’s a problem in your nervous system, it can cause different symptoms all over your body. Illnesses that involve the nervous system can include:
- Acoustic neuroma
- Brain tumors
- Migraines and headaches
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal tumors
- Trigeminal neuralgia
If you have a neurological condition, you’ll work with a neurologist for treatment.
Your allies in neurological treatment
At Main Line Health, with locations throughout the Philadelphia suburbs, our board-certified neurologists have extensive training in helping patients with diseases of the nervous system. If you need surgery, our neurologists work hand in hand with our neurosurgery team.
Main Line Health is part of the Jefferson Neuroscience Network. That means that in addition to our own expert care and advanced services, we also have access to shared resources like clinical trials and innovative new treatments.
Getting to the root of the problem
Our neurology team uses the latest in advanced diagnostics to identify the cause of your symptoms. Some of our diagnostic tools include:
- Electroencephalography (EEG) – this test uses electrodes on your scalp to measure your brain’s activity
- Evoked potential (EP) tests – these tests check to see how quickly your brain responds to light, sound and touch
- Electromyography (EMG) – this test measures the electricity from nerve impulses in your muscles
- Nerve conduction studies – these tests check the nerve impulses in different parts of your body
- Ultrasonic vascular studies – these tests check for blood clots that could cause a stroke
Using these tools, our specialists can help you find the cause of a neurological illness—sometimes before you even start to notice symptoms.
Saving time, saving brains
If you’ve had a stroke, getting immediate treatment can make all the difference when it comes to your recovery. At Main Line Health, our stroke centers provide world-class stroke treatment that starts as soon as you arrive. Our comprehensive rehabilitation services and specialists will help you recover after treatment.