We are with you every step of the way
From your first prenatal visit through labor, delivery and recovery, our renowned physicians and highly skilled nursing staff deliver high quality care in a nurturing environment. Main Line Health has expert physicians for every step of the way.
Learn more about:
Planning your pregnancy
If you are hoping to start a family, take time to evaluate your own health. Your physician and the clinical team can provide specific information regarding healthy diet and safe exercise. For specific health concerns, you and your OB/GYN have access to physician specialists and specialty care centers.
Now that you're pregnant
If you are newly pregnant, and have already chosen your OB/GYN physician, your appointment should be scheduled in the second half of your first trimester. In addition to the initial physical examination, your first visit will include a family and personal health history, instructions regarding your health during your pregnancy, and information regarding proper nutrition and exercise.
Whether you’re having your first child or your third, it’s definitely helpful to know what to expect along the way. At Main Line Health, we’re committed to making your pregnancy and delivery the most positive experience possible. That’s why we’ve created this guide full of information to help you prepare.
Childbirth education classes
We offer a variety of childbirth classes to help you and your partner learn about and become comfortable with the childbirth process. Our classes focus on both the physical and emotional aspects of labor and delivery, including breathing and relaxation techniques, breastfeeding, the role of support person and tours of our maternity units.
Amenities for your baby and you
No matter which Main Line Health hospital you choose, you can be assured of a family-centered childbirth experience backed by a strong clinical team. In addition to your obstetrician, a team of anesthesiologists, neonatologists, maternity and neonatal nurses, and pediatric specialists stand ready to work with you in identifying the best birthing options for you and your baby.
Care for your baby and you
We encourage you to spend time with your newborn in your hospital room to ensure early bonding with your baby. You can have your baby in the room with you as much, or as little, as you choose. If your newborn needs extra care or observation after delivery, Main Line Health provides extensive neonatal and infant care services to meet your newborn’s needs, including:
Benefits of choosing Main Line Health for you and your baby
Having a baby at one of Main Line Health’s four hospitals in the Philadelphia suburbs provides you with access to
- Fertility specialists
- Convenient outpatient prenatal and perinatal testing sites
- A regional network of OB/GYN physicians
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- Private suites with modern amenities
- High-risk pregnancy centers
- Pregnancy wellness information, educational classes and maternity unit tours
- Neonatal intensive care units (NICU)
- Level II NICU at Paoli Hospital
- Level III NICU at Lankenau Medical Center, Bryn Mawr Hospital and Riddle Hospital
- Lactation and breastfeeding services
- Outpatient mental health services through the Women’s Emotional Wellness Center
- Mason Shaffer Public Cord Blood Donation
- Dedicated pediatric emergency program and collaboration with Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children
- Nemours infant/neonatal and pediatric subspecialists
- Highly skilled and dedicated nursing teams
- Multi-specialty physicians to address a mother’s high-risk conditions