Main Line Health is now offering the unique opportunity to current nursing students to gain valuable, hands-on clinical experience while having the flexibility to manage their school and personal life. We are offering part time, year-round paid positions on all shifts in most clinical specialties. This is an exceptional opportunity to prepare for the clinical setting after graduation.
Our Nurse Extern Program is designed for anyone currently enrolled in a nursing program. You will have the opportunity to work as a patient care technician on one of our acute care units and gain hands on experience assisting nurses in patient care. Typical responsibilities include AM care, PM care, EKGs, blood glucose monitoring, finger sticks, phlebotomy and more!
- System travel and agility team nurse extern—Provide care in our internal float pool and work on a variety of acute care floors at any one of our award-winning hospitals.
- Unit-based nurse extern—Nurse externs hired for unit-based positions will work on a specific unit/hospital, with start dates in May/June of each year.
- Actively enrolled in an accredited RN or BSN program
- Ability to meet a 16 hour per month commitment once training is completed
- Unit-based hours requirement: 24 hours per week commitment during the summer (June/July/August) and 16 hours per month during the fall and spring semesters.
- Ability to work evenings, nights and weekend (Saturday and Sunday) shifts
Why choose Main Line Health for your nursing externship?
Main Line Health offers our communities the latest technology in a compassionate environment and gives the people who provide that care the best opportunities to learn, grow and prosper. It takes a team to care. Main Line Health provides the perfect environment for the nursing student who wants to develop and/or strengthen their clinical skills, while acquiring workplace experience.
Consider the benefits of working for a Main Line Health hospital
- Paid classroom and clinical orientation
- Available in a variety of clinical settings
- 1:1 precepting/training
- Teaching facility with state-of-the-art equipment
- Flexible scheduling including weekend program
- Competitive salary
- Free parking
- No city wage tax
How to applySubmit your application for the current nurse externship position listed on our careers page. Included in your application should be your updated resume that reflects your anticipate graduation date from your nursing program. Once you apply, your application will be reviewed by our talent acquisition team. Due to the high volume of applicants, you will only be contacted if you are selected for an interview. Status updates will be provided.
Frequently asked questions
Thank you for your interest in Main Line Health's Nurse Externship Program!