Tomo, or digital breast tomosynthesis (3D mammo), has been shown to make the most difference for women between the ages of 40 and 50 years old who have dense breasts; and/or those with a personal history of breast cancer.
3D mammography provides our radiologists with a high-accuracy view of the breast, which leads to clear detection, minimal callbacks, and peace of mind.
The benefits of tomo include:
- Reduces the need for follow-up imaging
- Pinpoints with high accuracy the size, shape and location of abnormalities
- Detects multiple breast tumors with great precision
At Main Line Health we offer state-of-the-art technology, expert breast radiologists, and certified mammography technicians all working together to provide women with the best care possible for screenings and diagnostic studies. Mammograms are interpreted by Main Line Health board-certified radiologists who have additional certification by the ACR (American College of Radiology) specifically for mammography interpretation.
Other breast diagnostic services
We also offer the following diagnostic services:
- Stereotactic breast biopsy – This minimally invasive procedure uses three-dimensional computerized imaging to pinpoint suspicious areas in the breast for biopsy.
- MRI-guided biopsy – This biopsy uses a powerful magnetic field to locate a breast lump or abnormality and guide a needle to remove a tissue sample.
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy – These biopsies are performed at the hospital or surgeon's office. The radiologist/physician uses an ultrasound to accurately locate the suspicious area and to guide the needle into position for a specimen.
- Presurgical lesion localization – Using mammography, ultrasound or MRI, the radiologist places a marker to provide a roadmap for the surgeon.