I am a surgical oncologist (cancer surgeon) who also specializes in thoracic (chest) surgery. I am
a long-standing member of the medical staff and cancer care team at Lankenau Medical Center, where I serve as chief of surgery and co-director of the Cancer Center.
My clinical practice is largely dedicated to diagnosis and treatment of cancer and to managing patients’ clinical course throughout their cancer care. As a cancer surgeon, I specialize in treatment of lung cancer, esophageal cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, thyroid and parathyroid tumors, and liver and
pancreatic tumors. I am an advocate of less invasive surgery and helped launch Lankenau’s program for minimally invasive treatment of esophageal cancer.
- Evaluation of suspicious lung nodules, for early diagnosis of lung cancer
- Surgical treatment of lung cancer, including video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- Surgical treatment of tumors that have spread to the lungs from other areas of the body
- Robotic-assisted surgical treatment of esophageal cancer and thymus cancer
- Surgical treatment of breast cancer through a multidisciplinary approach
- Surgical treatment of melanoma, using sentinel node biopsy when indicated
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the liver, bile ducts, pancreas, thyroid gland and parathyroid glands
- Clinical cancer research
Throughout my career as a cancer surgeon I have also gained expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of premalignant conditions and benign diseases of the body, particularly disorders of the lung, skin, gastrointestinal tract, pancreas and breast.
In addition to my clinical practice, I participate in research to advance the care of patients with cancer and helped pioneer sentinel lymph node biopsy–based treatment of breast cancer and melanoma, as well as cryoablation therapy for breast cancer. I am a member of several national organizations devoted to the study of cancer, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Society of Surgical Oncology, NRG Oncology, and American Radium Society.
I also have been an active participant in national organizations whose mission is to define standards of high-quality cancer care. I currently serve as chair of the Quality Measures Committee of the American College of Surgeon’s Commission on Cancer.