It's natural for people with cancer to experience psychological and emotional as well as physical effects of treatment. Some patients may feel stress related to pain and recovery while others may have feelings of anxiety or depression. We address all of these aspects of the patient experience, offering integrative services for patients in the hospital as well as for patients receiving outpatient care. We are pleased to be able to offer these services at no additional cost to our patients.
A holistic approach to health and recovery in the hospital
In order to help you feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible while receiving medical care in the hospital, we offer a number of healing therapies that have been shown to speed recovery and reduce symptoms such as pain, anxiety, fatigue and depression.
Our integrative therapies include:
- Reiki – Healing energy work helps reduce pain and anxiety and improves overall sense of well-being.
- Aromatherapy – Based on ancient herbal wisdom, certain essential oils promote calm and healing. Aromatherapy can be a soothing complement to the medical care you are receiving. Our nurses incorporate lavender (calming) and peppermint (revitalizing) essential oils into their daily routines.
- Pet therapy – Animals such as service dogs help decrease stress and lift spirits.
- Therapeutic music – The soothing sound of a harp creates a calming presence for patients and visitors.
Outpatient integrative medicine
We are committed to treating the whole person. Our integrative therapies offer a complementary approach to medical treatment that provides relief from depression, anxiety and stress that may accompany cancer treatment. Our integrative oncology services include supportive group and one-on-one counseling as well as:
- Aromatherapy – Using plant oils to enhance physical and psychological well-being
- Drumming – Using rhythm to help decrease stress
- Healing touch – Applying hand techniques to evoke a relaxation response
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and meditation – Helping to relieve pain and stress
- Qi gong – Emphasizing posture, breathing, focused intention and energy balancing
- Reiki – Helping reduce pain and anxiety, and improving overall sense of well-being
- Therapeutic massage by therapists specially trained in modified massage techniques
- Dietitians who have in-depth understanding of the challenges associated with the nutritional needs of patients with cancer