Healing treatments for mind and body
Aside from the physical aspects of illness, injury or surgery, there may be psychological and emotional effects as well. Some patients may experience stress related to pain and recovery while others may have feelings of anxiety or depression. We address all of these aspects of the patient experience, offering integrative services for patients staying with us at Bryn Mawr Hospital just outside of Philadelphia as well as for our outpatient oncology patients throughout the Philadelphia region. We are pleased to be able to offer these services at no additional cost to patients.
A holistic approach to health and recovery in the hospital
We strive to make every patient as relaxed and comfortable as possible while receiving medical care at Bryn Mawr Hospital. To do this, we offer a number of healing therapies that have been shown to speed recovery and reduce symptoms such as pain, anxiety, fatigue and depression.
Our integrative therapies include:
- Reiki – Healing energy work helps reduce pain, anxiety and improves overall sense of well-being.
- Aromatherapy – Based on ancient herbal wisdom, certain essential oils promote calm and healing. Aromatherapy can be a soothing complement to the medical care you are receiving. Our nurses incorporate lavender (calming) and peppermint (revitalizing) essential oils into their daily routines.
- Pet therapy – Animals, such as service dogs, help decrease stress and lift spirits. Children in our care especially love our pet therapy program.
- Therapeutic music – The soothing sound of a harp creates a calming presence for patients and visitors.
Want to learn more about integrative therapy and integrative medicine services for yourself or a loved one? Just talk to one of our nurses about the options available.
Outpatient integrative medicine for patients with cancer
At Bryn Mawr Hospital we’re committed to treating the whole person, not just the disease of cancer. For our patients being treated for or recovering from cancer, we offer integrative therapies, a complementary approach to medical treatment that provides relief from depression, anxiety, and stress that may accompany cancer treatment. Our integrative oncology services include supportive group and one-on-one counseling as well as:
- Aromatherapy – using plant oils to enhance physical and psychological well-being
- Drumming – using rhythm to help decrease stress
- Healing touch – applying hand techniques to evoke a relaxation response
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and meditation – helping to relieve pain and stress
- Qi gong – emphasizing posture, breathing, focused intention and energy balancing
- Reiki – helping reduce pain and anxiety, and improving overall sense of well-being
At locations around the Philadelphia suburbs, we also offer oncology massage by therapists specially trained in modified massage techniques, and oncology dietitians who have in-depth understanding of the challenges associated with the nutritional needs of patients with cancer.
As part of our integrative oncology offerings, we offer integrative health conferences twice a year as well as special programs for patients to experience art and music therapies, guided imagery, and breathing techniques.
Through our relationship with Unite for HER, a non-profit community organization that supports programs for breast cancer patients, and with support from the Bryn Mawr Hospital Foundation, all integrative oncology services are free of charge to patients.