Advanced care for cervical cancer
At Main Line Health locations throughout the Philadelphia region, our oncologists (doctors who treat cancer), radiation oncologists and gynecologic surgeons use advanced techniques to treat cervical cancer, including robotic surgeries and highly-targeted radiation therapy. We strive to provide cancer treatments with fewer side effects and faster recovery times so you can have a high quality of life throughout your care and beyond.
Early detection improves treatment options
At Main Line Health we can detect cervical cancer with a Pap smear. During a Pap smear, a swab is inserted into the vagina and a sample of your cells is taken from your cervix. Pap smears can identify pre-cancerous cells so our doctors can stop cancer before it forms. When cervical cancer is detected early, treatments are often more effective at eliminating cancer and keeping it from coming back.
If you have a Pap smear that reveals cancerous or pre-cancerous cells, your doctor may recommend these tests to confirm cancer is present:
- Computed tomography (CT) scans
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans
- Colposcopy (examination of the cervix with a special lens and light)
- Biopsy (surgical removal of cervix tissue for examination)
These advanced diagnostic tests give our doctors valuable information about your specific type of cervical cancer. Main Line Health experts can then design treatment plans that are personalized to your needs.
Comprehensive care personalized for you
At Main Line Health, we offer comprehensive cervical cancer treatment. These advanced techniques are personalized for you and precisely targeted at your cancer cells. You may have one or more of the following treatments depending on your specific type of cancer:
- Surgery – Using robotic and minimally invasive surgical techniques, our experienced surgeons can remove cancerous cells in the cervix.
- Chemotherapy – The latest medicines to kill cancer are more effective and cause fewer side effects than chemotherapy drugs in the past.
- Radiation therapy – Highly targeted, high-dose radiation therapy techniques allow you to have fewer radiation therapy treatments and cause less damage to healthy cervical cells.