The Art Ability program at Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital strongly relies on the help of our dedicated volunteers. There are many opportunities available in Art Ability depending on your interests and time. Volunteers are welcome at both the Committee level and on an as needed basis.
Art Ability Committee
The committee is a core group of volunteers responsible for the planning and implementation of the Art Ability annual juried exhibition and sale, and programs throughout the year. Committee member responsibilities include:
- Attend three planning meetings annually (January, May and September). If you are not available to attend in person, arrangements can be made for you to join us by conference call.
- Participate in the planning and execution of the annual exhibition and sale. Committee members are asked to purchase a ticket to the event and will receive the same benefits as the public. Committee member’s names will be listed on the invitation and program book.
Annual Exhibition and Sale
- On a rotating basis, one to two committee members will join the jury team that selects artwork for the annual exhibition (June/July)
- Assist with unpacking and inventorying artwork as it arrives (September)
- Assist with take down and storage of permanent collection (October) and Reinstall (February)
- Assist with installation of the annual exhibit (October/November)
- Attend the Preview Reception and serve as a volunteer for at least one shift (first Saturday evening in November)
- Assist with closing the show – taking down artwork, packing artwork, pick-up days for local artists and buyers (February)
- Assist with tours or presentations throughout the year. These may include school groups, social clubs or donors.
- Participant in special project throughout the year including satellite exhibitions and community programs.
Current committee members*
Peggy & Brian Jones
Marilyn and Bob Roland
*As of March 2020
Volunteers are always needed to help with Art Ability in various ways. Activities include: unpacking, inventory and organization, installation, de-installing and repacking the artwork.
If you or someone you know is interested in helping, please contact Yvonne Navarro-Brewer, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 484.596.5599.
Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital has ongoing opportunities for college interns to assist with the Art Ability program each semester. Art Ability hosts an international exhibition and sale every fall, in addition to various other exhibits and special events throughout the year.
Internships are available year round. Multiple interns are needed during the months of May–August.
Title: Art Ability Intern
Assists with the planning and implementation of the annual Art Ability Exhibit and Sale, featuring more than 400 pieces of work by approximately 200 artists with physical and cognitive disabilities. May also assist with outreach initiatives such as satellite exhibits and special events to highlight the talents of artists with disabilities.
Tasks may include:
- Preparing materials for mailings such as the call for entries, artist acceptance packets, save-the-date and other event invitations
- Learning and assisting with online software to receive art submissions and track accepted art
- Downloading and sorting images of artist submissions
- Working with curator on inventory of permanent and consignment collection
- Install/uninstall artwork
- Helping to package and ship any artwork that was sold online
- Formatting artist bios for the program book using established guidelines
- Working with Curator on special projects and satellite exhibits
- Assisting with the art arrival for fall exhibit
- Preparing for collection to be judged for awards
- Working with Curator on layout of the exhibit
- Assist with event details as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
- Special events experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in-person and over the telephone
- Organized and deadline oriented
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office
- Passion for the mission and services of Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital