Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital’s Art Ability Exhibition and Sale is the largest event of its kind for artists with disabilities in the United States. We welcome any artist interested in participating to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 484.596.5607 to provide your name and contact information for our mailing list.
Call for entries
Art Ability is now accepting submissions for the 2019–20 Exhibition and Sale. Deadline for entries is Wednesday, June 19, 2019.
- Artists are selected by the Curator to be considered for the upcoming exhibit’s ‘Featured Artist.’ The selection of a featured artwork piece is completed.
- The exhibit season kicks off with a spring mailing of the Call for Entry information to potential participating artists as maintained in our 1000+ name database. Postings to arts websites are made.
- The Art Ability Committee of volunteers kick-off event planning with a spring meeting.
- Artist images are due in July.
- The initial jurying of submitted work, led by the Curator and includes members of the Art Ability committee, artists and art scholars, is completed by late July.
- Artist acceptance letters and packets of instructions are mailed in early August. Inventory lists are finalized.
- Shipped and hand delivered artwork is due early fall (September).
- Unpacking and inventory work days are held in late September–the Curator leads committee members and dozens of volunteers in unpacking, inventorying and organizing over 500 pieces of artwork.
- The second part of our jurying process includes a ‘Jurying Day’ which is held in early fall. Three prestigious members of the art community judge the submitted work and award monetary prizes for artistic excellence.
- Hanging day is scheduled for the Monday evening before the exhibit opening. Led by the Curator, more than 25 committee members and volunteers help install the over 400 pieces of work. Identifying labels are placed next to all artwork.
- A Preview party takes place the opening day of the exhibit (early November) which is attended by approximately 400 invited guests. Approximately 60 percent of art sales take place at the opening reception. A self-guided tour, open to the public at no cost, takes place for the remainder of the show with art sold until the last day. Guided tours can be arranged upon request.
- The annual exhibit de-installation is in February. Committee members and volunteers, led by the Curator, de-install the exhibit, pack up all unsold work for shipping back to artists, and wrap all sold work for customer pick up.
- Customers arrange to pick up purchased artwork after the closing day so the integrity of the presentation is not comprised.
- The hospital’s permanent collection of work is installed.
All these activities are completed with the help of our dedicated committee of volunteers along with the expertise of the exhibit Curator.