Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital’s Art Ability Exhibition and Sale is the largest event of its kind for artists with disabilities in the United States. We welcome any artist interested in participating to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 484.596.5607 to provide your name and contact information for our mailing list.
Call for entries
NOTICE: The coronavirus pandemic is rapidly evolving in the United States and abroad. The safety of our patients, staff and community is paramount. Art Ability is an important component of the culture at Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital and we remain committed to our mission to support artists with disabilities. Our leadership team is carefully reviewing all aspects of the exhibition and sale to determine how we can safely execute the annual event. In light of current circumstances, we are delaying the Call for Entry of art submissions until May 2020. Please look for further communications shortly and thank you for your understanding.
- Artists are selected by the Curator to be considered for the upcoming exhibit’s ‘Featured Artist.’ The selection of a featured artwork piece is completed.
- The exhibit season kicks off with a spring mailing of the Call for Entry information to potential participating artists as maintained in our 1000+ name database. Postings to arts websites are made.
- The Art Ability Committee of volunteers kick-off event planning with a spring meeting.
- Artist images are due in June.
- The initial jurying of submitted work, led by the Curator and includes members of the Art Ability committee, artists and art scholars, is completed in July.
- Artist acceptance letters and packets of instructions are mailed in late summer. Inventory lists are finalized.
- Shipped and hand delivered artwork is due early fall (September).
- Unpacking and inventory work days are held in September. The Curator leads committee members and dozens of volunteers in unpacking, inventorying and organizing over 400 pieces of artwork.
- The second part of our jurying process includes a ‘Award Judging Day’ which is held in early fall. Three prestigious members of the art community judge the submitted work and award monetary prizes for artistic excellence.
- Installation day is scheduled for the Monday evening before the exhibit opening. Led by the Curator, more than 25 committee members and volunteers help install the over 400 pieces of work. Identifying labels are placed next to all artwork.
- A Preview Party takes place the opening day of the exhibit (the first Sunday of November) which is attended by approximately 400 invited guests. Approximately 60 percent of art sales take place at the opening reception. A self-guided tour, open to the public at no cost, takes place for the remainder of the show with art sold until the last day. Guided tours can be arranged upon request.
- A Closing Reception will be held in mid-January. This is a relaxed afternoon with opportunities for guided tours, education, art workshops and to meet the artists.
- The annual exhibit de-installation is in February. Committee members and volunteers, led by the Curator, de-install the exhibit, pack up all unsold work for shipping back to artists, and wrap all sold work for customer pick up.
- Customers arrange to pick up purchased artwork after the closing day so the integrity of the presentation is not comprised.
- The hospital’s permanent collection of work is installed.
All these activities are completed with the help of our dedicated committee of volunteers along with the expertise of the exhibit Curator.