Our hospitalists and other professionals of hospitalist medicine services provide 24-hour coverage, seven days a week for Lankenau Medical Center (Wynnewood), Bryn Mawr, Paoli and Riddle (Media) hospitals—all located in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Our hospitalists are board-certified in internal or family medicine and are always current with the most advanced medical treatments and procedures. They manage the care of hospitalized patients from date of admission to discharge, and have open access to the renowned subspecialists at the Main Line Health hospitals.
At Lankenau Medical Center we have a growing number of “academic hospitalists”—hospitalists who comprise our core teaching faculty, supervising and teaching internal medicine residents and medical students, and provide inpatient care 24/7.
Learn more about the role hospitalists play in your care
- Admit you to the hospital if you do not have a primary care physician (PCP) or if your primary care physician is not available
- Maintain an open line of communication with your PCP
- Manage all aspects of your hospital stay, including arranging consultations with specialists, and ordering tests, treatments and medications
- Provide ongoing medical management around the clock during hospitalization
- Provide emergent care
- Provide medical consultation on surgical cases
- Manage the medical care of psychiatric and substance abuse patients prior to safe discharge
- Manage patients transferred from the Intensive Care Unit prior to discharge
- Are available to answer your questions throughout the day
- Sends a discharge summary to your PCP, which includes information on your illness and treatment, test results, medications and instructions for PCPs should you need any follow-up care; will make appropriate referral prior to discharge for those without a PC