LGBTQ Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services
A safe recovery space and mental health support for the LGBTQ community
At Mirmont Treatment Center we are aware of the inequalities and everyday stressors that many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) communities face. People who are sexual minorities often experience difficulty understanding and accepting their sexual orientation, which can lead to feelings of shame, guilt, fear and isolation.
Statistically, people in LGBTQ communities are more than twice as likely to use alcohol and drugs as their heterosexual peers; however, due to a lack of affirming services, many choose not to seek care for their addictions.
Addressing LGBTQ substance use disorders in a safe environment
LGBTQ Inclusive Care at Mirmont is a program for LGBTQ people who are struggling with addiction. The purpose of the program is to provide LGBTQ substance abuse treatment and to create a safe space where LGBTQ individuals can openly discuss how their identity as a sexual minority has affected their substance use and mental health.
People in LGBTQ communities are more than twice as likely to use alcohol and drugs as their heterosexual peers but due to lack of affirming services often choose not to seek care for addiction.
Discussing a comprehensive range of topics in an inclusive group setting
As part of our commitment to providing a safe, affirming, and comfortable environment for the recovery journey, Mirmont Treatment Center offers a dedicated intensive outpatient program and an outpatient group for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- SAGE (Sexuality and Gender Expansive) is a mental health intensive outpatient program (IOP) open to any adult who identifies as LGBTQ+ and lives with a primary mental health diagnosis. This group will include mental health psychoeducation, dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) informed therapy, mindfulness and a culturally responsive and strengths-based approach.
- PRISM (People Respecting Individuality and Sexuality at Mirmont) provides current patients an additional opportunity to process specific needs that may be underlying factors related to substance use disorders.
Topics frequently discussed include:
- Internalized homophobia
- Trauma and trauma reenactment
- Rejection and isolation
- Relapse prevention skills
- Healthy relationships
- Co-occurring conditions
- Sober pro-social supports
- Recovery and returning to a state of well-being
Mirmont Treatment Center strives to create a safe environment for everyone to be their authentic self. Our staff provides quality LGBTQIA+ components and inclusive care in all aspects of treatment.
It is our hope that through more personalized group and individual counseling services, the needs specific to the LGBTQIA+ community can be addressed in an affirming, culturally sensitive, competent and informed manner. With our Media, Exton and Broomall locations, we are able to provide inpatient and outpatient LGBTQIA+ substance abuse treatment and mental health counseling near you.