At LIMR, safety is a priority in all aspects of our research. There are two committees within LIMR that oversee laboratory safety, the Biosafety/Recombinant DNA Committee (BRDC) and the Chemical/General Safety Committee. These groups develop, implement, and coordinate the laboratory and biological safety programs for all of LIMR’s research laboratories. In addition, radiation safety is coordinated with the Lankenau Medical Center Radiation Safety Committee.
The BRDC oversees research involving recombinant DNA, pathogenic organisms, and/or human or non-human primate derived materials (e.g., cell lines, tissues, fluid). Additionally, the Committee oversees all projects involving infectious agents (RG-2 and 3) and certain toxins, which are on the CDC Select agents list.
It is the responsibility of the Investigator to submit the proposed research to the BRDC for approval before the research has begun. You may not start your research until your protocol has been reviewed and approved by the BRDC.
Members of the Biosafety/Recombinant DNA Committee:
- Robert Cox, PhD, Chair, Professor
- Janice Knepper, PhD, Community Member
- Michael P. McCann, PhD, Community Member
- James M. Mullin, PhD, Professor
- Gan-Xin Yan, MD, PhD, Physician, Professor
- Bevin Dolan, MD, Physician, Infectious Disease
- Judith Daviau, DVM, Veterinary Consultant
- Alexander Burashnikov, PhD, Research Associate Professor
- Sunil Thomas, PhD, Research Assistant Professor
- Anne Marie Hobson, JD, Director, Office of Research Protections
The Chemical/General Safety Committee assists principal investigators in providing training on general laboratory safety and overseeing the use of chemicals.
Members of the Chemical/General Safety Committee:
- Robert Cox, PhD, Professor, Chair
- Mary Carmen Valenzano, Biomedical Research Assistant
- James DuHadaway, Research Laboratory Associate
- Ann Jonik, Technician
- John Laughlin, Research Annex Supervisor
- Gwen Gilliard, Research Institute Assistant (non-voting)
- Anne Marie Hobson, advisor, director of regulatory affairs (non-voting)