Causes of heart failure include coronary artery disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity, which may contribute to weakening or stiffening the heart.
Surgical expertise for a wide range of vascular concerns
We have expertise in diagnosing and treating the entire spectrum of vascular disorders and the circulatory system, from varicose veins and other cosmetic concerns to limb-threatening conditions like peripheral vascular disease and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Our surgeons perform hundreds of procedures to open blocked arteries and restore healthy blood flow with traditional open surgery as well as minimally invasive and endovascular interventions. Our goal is to minimize your risk for heart attack, stroke and amputation.
Our specialists provide the full range of vascular care services using the most advanced diagnostic and treatment approaches.
- Evaluation of new or existing symptoms of vascular disease, comprehensive vascular testing, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations
- Treatment using surgical, endovascular (catheter-based), and hybrid (surgery plus catheter-based) approaches; with catheter-based approaches, a thin tube is used to insert a stent, graft, balloon, or other device to treat a blocked or damaged blood vessel
- Medical management and monitoring if other treatments are not appropriate
- Vascular care for patients who require kidney dialysis
- Second opinions on treatment for vascular disease
Treatments we provide for vascular conditions
- Aortic disease – Open, endovascular and hybrid repair of aneurysms or dissections of the descending thoracic aorta and abdominal aorta and iliac vessels
- Peripheral arterial disease – Open, endovascular, and hybrid revascularization of lower extremity occlusive disease; treatment of critical limb ischemia with ulcerations, claudication ischemic rest pain, and diabetic ulcers
- Deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolism – Catheter-directed (including intravascular ultrasound–assisted) thrombolysis for PE or large DVT (when appropriate)
- Carotid disease – Endarterectomy, transcarotid artery revascularization (TCAR), and stent placement (when appropriate); noninvasive management
- Hemodialysis access – Laparoscopic approaches to managing dialysis access, emphasizing autogenous options; specialized care for patients with complex access issues
- Varicose veins – Radiofrequency ablation, sclerotherapy, and surgical therapy
At Main Line Health we have a long and successful history of treating patients who have vascular disorders—including those who are considered to be high risk.
Cardiovascular clinical trials at Main Line Health
Main Line Health uses clinical trials to help prevent, diagnose and treat the full range of heart and aortic conditions. Learn more about the cardiovascular clinical trials currently being offered by our renowned cardiologists and heart and aortic surgeons.
We approach coronary artery disease with preventive strategies along with medication therapy and the least invasive yet most sophisticated surgical techniques available.
At the core of our cardiac surgery program are internationally renowned cardiac surgeons and specialists who are leaders in this field. Our expertise spans the full spectrum of cardiac surgery and includes groundbreaking applications of minimally invasive and robotic-assisted techniques.
Of patients who have completed cardiac rehabilitation program at a Main Line Health facility, 95 percent show improvement in functional ability and 100 percent of patients report overall improvement in their quality of life.
The cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons at Main Line Health work together to improve the detection and prevention of heart disease with the latest treatment options.
Complex aortic disease treatment at Lankenau Heart Institute begins with the experience of an exceptional team of aortic wellness specialists, state-of-the-art diagnostic technology, and a comprehensive array of medical and minimally invasive surgical treatment options.
At Main Line Health, we treat structural heart and valvular disease that other centers have deemed untreatable. Our team of cardiologists, imaging specialists, interventionists and surgeons is among the most experienced in the region. Learn more about Main Line Health's structural heart and Valvular disease program.
Our surgeons perform hundreds of procedures to open blocked arteries and restore healthy blood flow with traditional open surgery as well as minimally invasive and endovascular interventions.