A safe and effective way to minimize facial aging
As you get older, your face begins to lose some of its fullness. Repetitive muscle actions created by facial expressions usually cause wrinkles. How your face ages depends on many factors—your genes, whether you smoke, your sleep positions and how much UV light exposure you’ve had.
The board-certified facial plastic surgeon at Main Line Health uses injectables and fillers to combat wrinkles and other signs of aging. The safe, effective techniques used to administer these medications are nonsurgical and minimally invasive.
The major benefit of facial injectables and fillers is that, except for minor bruising, they require little or no downtime. Also, with most of these medications, you’ll see immediate results. Some injectables and fillers are more suitable than others for use in certain areas of the face. Injectables and fillers can be used to treat:
- Frown lines (“the 11s”)
- Horizontal forehead creases
- Crow’s feet
- Lip lines
- Chin dimpling
- Overactive neck muscles (platysmal banding)
Injectables and fillers must be administered carefully by a licensed medical professional who understands the underlying facial muscle actions, as well as the appropriate preparation and application of the treatment. Talk with your doctor to learn more about what options may be right for you and your cosmetic goals.
What kinds of injectables and fillers are available?
Injection of neuromodulators, such as BOTOX® and Dysport®, has helped millions of men and women counter the effects of facial aging. Our specialists are trained in the latest minimally invasive surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic techniques, designed to get you back to feeling your best. Main Line Health offers the following injectables and fillers to make your face look young again:
- Botox – Botox injections typically take only a few minutes and do not require anesthesia. It can take up to seven days before you see the full benefit, and results last approximately three to six months. Effects become more substantial over time as the process is repeated.
- Dysport – Dysport is similar to Botox in its purpose and delivery. Both are derived from botulinum toxin type A proteins and last approximately three to six months. Dysport has the advantage of a quicker onset time.
- Juvéderm® XC & Juvéderm® Ultra XC – A popular hyaluronic acid filler, Juvéderm is FDA-approved for injection in the nasolabial folds and lips. It can also help the appearance of mild to moderate lines in the chin, marionette lines (creases below the mouth, around the chin), jowls and jawline. Results are expected to last six months or longer.
- Juvéderm Voluma® XC – Voluma is also a hyaluronic acid filler. It can be used to contour and volumize the malar region to create the appearance of higher cheekbones. Results with Voluma may last up to two years.
- Juvéderm Volbella® XC – A newer product in the Juvéderm line of hyaluronic acid fillers, Volbella is the ideal product for fine lines around the mouth and subtle enhancement of the lips. Results are expected to last six months or longer.
Insurance for injectables and fillers
Injectables and fillers are usually not covered by insurance because it is considered an elective procedure.