Each day, one in three adults 65 or older is injured in a fall. In fact, the number one admission to the Main Line Health Trauma Centers are falls.
Balance disorders are often a factor in these falls, including vertigo—a common condition that creates a feeling of spinning.
The good news is, balance disorders are often treatable and many falls are preventable. Here are a few simple tips to help make your home safer:
- Remove tripping hazards like electrical cords and throw rugs
- Install grab bars in the bathtub and next to the toilet
- Have handrails installed on both sides of stairways and walkways
- Store items you use every day within easy reach
- Use nightlights in the bathroom, bedroom and hallways
Talk to your doctor about treatments and lifestyle changes that may reduce your risk of falls and improve your balance.
Vestibular Therapy offered by Bryn Mawr Rehab
The many vestibular therapies available at Bryn Mawr Rehab give patients the tools to successfully manage their symptoms. Based on individualized evaluations, treatments include a range of physical and occupational therapy techniques in the following forms:
- sensorimotor retraining—introduces balance techniques
- visual exercises—improves ability to maintain gaze while in motion
- home exercises—enables independent condition management
- patient/family education—teaches how to identify dizziness triggers and develop strategies to minimize effects
Join us for an upcoming falls prevention program
Do you have concerns about falling? Many older adults express concerns about falling and restricting their activities. We have many programs designed to improve balance, manage falls and increase activity levels.