Books on bereavement
For grieving parents
- Miscarriage: A shattered dream by Sherokee Ilse
- Too soon a memory, a guide for parents suffering a miscarriage by Pat Schwiebert, RN
- Healing your grieving heart after stillbirth: 100 practical ideas for parents and families by Alan D. Wolfelt, PhD
- This little while by Joy and Dr. S. M. Johnson
- Always within; Grieving the loss of your infant by M. Eshleman
- Empty cradle, broken heart: Surviving the death of your baby by Deborah Davis
- You are the mother of all mothers by Angela Miller
For grieving fathers
For grieving grandparents
- A grandparent’s sorrow by Pat Schwiebert, RN
- Forgotten tears: A grandmother’s journey through grief by Nina Bennett
- Healing a grandparent’s grieving heart: 100 practical ideas after your grandchild dies by Alan D. Wolfelt, PhD
For grieving children
- We were gonna have a baby, but we had an angel instead by at Schwiebert
- No new baby: For siblings who have a brother or sister die before birth by Marilyn Gryte
- Thumpy’s story by Nancy Dodge
- Something happened: A book for children and parents who have experienced pregnancy loss by C. Blanford
- Lifetimes: The beautiful way to explain death to children by B. Mellonie and R. Ingpen
- Tear soup: A recipe for healing after loss by Pat Schwiebert
For grieving teens
Live support groups
- Unite grief support groups offered at Lankenau Medical Center, Paoli Hospital, Riddle Hospital and other locations in the area
Resources and reading materials
- Babies Remembered is a website of Wintergreen Press which offers self-help books, support materials and resources to help bereaved families.
- The Compassionate Friends offers comfort, hope and support to every family member experiencing the death of a child, sibling or grandchild. For more information call 1.877.969.0100.
- CJ First Cradle is for parents, families and professionals seeking information and support on miscarriage, stillbirth and SIDS. Offers online access to support groups on Facebook. Grief support available 24/7. For more information call 1.800.221.7437.
- Grieve Out Loud offers support online for grieving families touched by pregnancy loss, stillbirth or infant loss. Also provides additional resources.
- Healing Hearts for Bereaved Parents is dedicated to providing grief support to parents.
- Share Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support is an online community for anyone who experiences the tragic death of a baby.
- Star Legacy Foundation supports research, education and advocacy regarding pregnancy loss and neonatal death. Offers live online support groups. Celirtified grief counselors are available 24/7 at 952-715-7731, ext. 1.
- Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope is a place to share your story with others who understand.
Local support organizations
- Butterfly Baskets—Provides comfort, creates connection and offers community for those impacted by pregnancy challenges, miscarriage, stillbirth and infant loss.
- The Adalyn Rose Foundation—Provides comprehensive support for families grieving the loss of their babies through miscarriage, stillbirth or during infancy.
- Three Little Birds—Provides immediate and long-term advocacy and support of families experiencing the loss of a pregnancy or baby.
Support for specific loss
- Grieving dads: To the brink and back is a forum for dads to connect.
- Center for Loss in Multiple Birth (CLIMB) provides parent-to-parent support for all who have experienced loss in multiple births.
- Trisomy 18 Foundation offers decision-making help, support, research, awareness and education.