Number of servings: 6
2⅔ cups of rigatoni pasta (or other tube-shaped pasta)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
12 ounces of skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
3 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup dry white wine or (or chicken broth)
1 cup of tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup of fresh basil, shredded
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
¼ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the salt and ⅛ teaspoon of the black pepper onto the chicken, then cook for five minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- Add remainder of the oil to skillet with garlic, mushrooms and onions. Stir-fry until onions are just tender.
- Pour in broth and wine, then bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to about half, stirring occasionally (about five to 10 minutes).
- Remove skillet from heat. Add pasta, chicken, tomatoes, basil and oregano; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Cholesterol: 36 milligrams
Sodium: 225 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Dietary Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 22 grams