- 4 cups spaghetti squash, cooked using whatever method you prefer; if your squash is large, you’ll have more than you need for this recipe
- 1/2 lb. ground breast-meat turkey
- 1 tbsp. minced onion1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 2 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 14.5-oz. cans petite cut diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 2 oz. Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Mix turkey with minced onion, parsley, basil, and breadcrumbs. Mix in egg. Form into 12 meatballs—each about a rounded tablespoon.
Heat oil in a skillet. Brown meatballs evenly, about five minutes total. Pour tomatoes over meatballs and heat for about five minutes. Meatballs will be cooked through and tomatoes heated.
To serve: Put about 1 cup of squash on each plate and top with meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle with Monterey jack cheese and cilantro.
Fat: 14 grams
Saturated fat: 5 grams
Cholesterol: 110 milligrams
Sodium: 990 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Dietary fiber: 4 grams
Sugar: 10 grams
Protein: 18 grams