Number of servings: 6
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups low-fat or nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place large baking sheet on the center of the oven rack.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Lightly beat eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Add enough batter (about ⅔ cup) to cover ⅔ of the baking surface and distribute evenly with a spatula.
- Close and cook until golden, brown, about four to five minutes. Transfer waffles to the baking sheet to keep warm.