Number of servings: 4 servings
4 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 15-ounce can (about 1-1½ cups) low-sodium corn kernels, rinsed
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies
4 cups cooked whole wheat noodles or chunky pasta
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
4 slices of lime for garnish
- Put chicken broth into a large soup pot and add onion and garlic.
- Cook for about five minutes, then add chicken. Add corn, beans and tomatoes.
- Heat to a boiling point, then turn off heat.
- Put 1 cup pasta and a quarter-cup of cilantro in each serving bowl.
- Pour soup over noodles and garnish with a slice of lime.
Fat: 8 grams (4 grams saturated fat, no trans fat)
Cholesterol: 53 milligrams
Sodium: 683 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 77 grams
Dietary Fiber: 9 grams
Sugars: 8 grams
Protein: 38 grams