Submitted by Stefanie Sassano Schrampf
Number of servings: 12
1 gallon of water
1 (4-lb) whole chicken, cut in pieces
1 large onion, cut in pieces
3 bay leaves
10 whole black peppercorns
1 bunch celery
2 lbs carrots
15-oz can stewed tomatoes
3 tbsp chopped lemongrass (optional)
¼ cup noodles
- Cook chicken in water over high heat. When water reaches boiling point, reduce to medium heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, ¾ bunch of celery, 1 lb of carrots, tomatoes, and lemongrass. Simmer for one hour.
- Strain broth. When chicken is cool, remove skin and cut meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Return strained stock to pot; stir in chicken, remaining celery, and carrots, chopped. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium temperature, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Cook noodles as directed on package and add to soup.