The following are the most common symptoms of stroke; however, each individual may experience symptoms differently.
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause
All of the above warning signs may not occur with each stroke. Do not ignore any of the warning signs, even if they go away—take action immediately. The symptoms of stroke may resemble other medical conditions or problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.