Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital’s Art Ability program is now accepting artist entries for the 2018–19 Exhibition and Sale. This marks the 23rd year of the international juried exhibition and sale of art and fine crafts by artists with disabilities.
Deadline for entries: Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Open to artists with physical, cognitive, visual and hearing disabilities. Only work created after the onset of a disability or injury is eligible. All works must be for sale. Art previously exhibited in Art Ability is not eligible for submission. Works must have been created within the last five years to be considered.
- Acceptable media – Works on paper, works on canvas or board, photography, mixed media, sculpture, jewelry and fine crafts.
- Size – No dimension should be less than 13” or more than 48” framed. Each piece is not to exceed 25lbs in weight.
- Finishing – Any works selected by judges must be sent ready for display. Two-dimensional pieces require appropriate framing and hanging hardware. Framing guidelines:
- Fine craft and jewelry – No framing or Plexiglas required
- Mixed media – May require framing and Plexiglas
- Sculpture and 3D art – No framing or Plexiglas required
- Special category is theme-related – Framing or Plexiglas is dependent on the medium
- Works on canvas, linen or board – Requires framing, may require Plexiglas (Acrylic, oil, or scratchboard would NOT, but watercolor, pencil, pastel, marker WOULD need Plexiglas)
- Works on paper – Requires framing, may require Plexiglas (Acrylic, oil, or scratchboard would NOT, but watercolor, pencil, pastel, marker WOULD need Plexiglas)
- Photography – Requires framing, may require Plexiglas (If photo is printed on metal, would NOT need Plexiglas. If printed on paper or foam, it WOULD require Plexiglas)
- Stipulations – Reproduction prints will not be accepted. Work that arrives damaged will be returned to artist. We are not financially responsible if it arrives damaged.
Sales and liability
Artists earn 80 percent of the sales of exhibited work, multiples and those commissioned in the 12-week show. Unsold works are returned after the exhibit closes. Artists may be invited to take part in Art Ability’s ongoing sales and exhibition programs. A consignment agreement would then be sent for artist approval. For work sold during Art Ability’s ongoing sales and exhibition programs, artists receive 60 percent of the sales. All payments are made by check in U.S. dollars after the close of the exhibition. By applying to this exhibition, permission is granted to allow Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital to photograph, publicize and reproduce the works submitted for the show, in whole or in part, for various types of publicity, educational or public relations purposes or otherwise for the hospital’s benefit. This right is perpetual and non-royalty bearing.
Review and notification
Review of submissions will be conducted by the Art Ability committee and exhibition curator. Artists whose work is accepted will be asked to send actual work at the expense of Art Ability or, if more convenient, to personally deliver the work to our Malvern location, by appointment. We reserve the right to final selection for the exhibition upon arrival of the work. More shipping details will be mailed to accepted artists. Artists will be notified of preliminary acceptance in August 2018. Artists whose work has not been selected will also be notified by email.
Jury and awards process
Distinguished members of the greater Philadelphia arts community award prizes in each media category. Each accepted work is eligible for prizes of up to $1,000 per piece. More than $7,000 in prizes will be awarded.
Along with your Artist Application please submit an artist’s biography—regardless of past participation. Format should be Microsoft Word (.doc) or PDF (.pdf). Biography should be no longer than 125 words and should include the following information:
- A brief description of yourself and your art (e.g., medium, techniques, subject).
- A personal quote or inspiration quote that motivates you as an artist.
- A description of your disability or impairment and the role art has played in your life.
Instructions for submitting entries
Deadline for entries: Wednesday, July 18, 2018
*Please read instructions carefully BEFORE beginning the application process
Each artist should submit work through the CaFE™ website: callforentry.org. Interested artists are required to create a free CaFE profile to apply. There is no entry fee for the Art Ability call, and artist profiles can be created and saved for future use. Artists with saved profiles should check to confirm contact information is still accurate.
Applicants are invited to submit up to six separate works of art for consideration, uploading one JPEG (.jpg) image of each to the CaFE site. If necessary, a detail may be uploaded as one of the six. Images must be uploaded to the artist’s profile prior to completing a call for entry. Applications also require title of work, medium, size, year completed, and price. Be sure the size and selling price is a reflection of the artwork framed. Refer to specific finishing guidelines under the Eligibility section of this document.
Also consider submitting one of your six works of art to reflect our theme this year. The 2018 theme is “Healing.” To be included for consideration in the theme category at judging, please title your work “Healing followed by your name,” such as “Healing by John Smith.” Depending on a variety of factors, the online submission process may take up to two hours to prepare images and submit the application.
Applicants are strongly urged to allow time for any unforeseen technical difficulties. Applications can be saved and updated at any time prior to the submission deadline of Wednesday, July 18, 2018.
Art centers and groups: A separate profile and valid email address is required for each submitting artist. Each artist’s submissions should reflect the person’s individual creativity. Multiple renditions of the same subject matter, such as a class assignment, will not be accepted. Please include the name and address of the art center or group on application.
We look forward to seeing your work!
Using the CaFE system
- Go to callforentry.org
- Register on CaFE to create a username and password that allows you to save information and return to it at any time.
- Create an artist portfolio by inputting art information and uploading images of work.
- When logged in to the CaFE system:
- Click on Apply to Calls tab at the top of the page.
- Search Art Ability.
- Select Apply to This Call in orange text.
- Complete application form.
- You will receive a submission confirmation email from CaFE.
For specific assistance with the CaFE system or formatting images, please contact CaFE Tech Support at 1.888.562.7232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital is not responsible for submissions that are incomplete or that fail to upload as a CaFE profile.
If you do not have a computer
The preferred method of submission is online via CaFE. However, you may submit an Artist Application, bio, and images on CD via U.S. mail. Please call 484.596.5607 for the mail-in form. CDs or other media transfer devices used to submit materials will NOT be returned.
Selected artists will be notified with preliminary review results and additional instructions for submitting work. Any supplemental information should be sent to:
Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital
414 Paoli Pike
Malvern, PA 19355