Overview of weight loss surgery options
Having bariatric surgery changes your life—yet the surgery itself is minimally invasive. At Main Line Health we offer four different insurance-approved procedures for guaranteed success.
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy – This nonreversible procedure removes about three quarters of the stomach so you’re left with a “sleeve” that feeds directly into the small intestine.
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass – This procedure creates a small, “new” stomach and bypasses your remaining stomach and part of the small intestine. The smaller stomach means you’ll feel full on much smaller portions of food. The bypassed intestinal tract means your body won’t absorb as many of the calories from the food.
- Laparoscopic duodenal switch – This procedure removes part of the stomach so you will eat less food and also bypasses a part of the intestines so your body absorbs much less fat.
- Other procedures
- Intra-gastric balloon – A temporary device is inserted into the stomach to reduce stomach capacity.
- Endoscopic revision – Helps patients who have failed gastric bypass in the past regain their feeling of restriction by reducing the size of their gastric pouch
You will learn more about your surgical options when you attend one of our upcoming free information sessions.