- The University of Texas-Pan American
- Duke University
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Yale University
Awards & Honors
- World Social Science Fellowship (WSS) – Big Data in an Urban Context (Xiamen, China Fellow 2015)
- William T. Grant Foundation Mentoring Fellowship with Prof. Jason Fletcher (2013–2014)
- AHRQ-Doctoral Training Fellowship (2009–2013)
Dr. Padron’s research interests focus on Big Data analysis in healthcare and its applications to population and health services research. Over the years, she has collaborated with interdisciplinary teams on topics related to health insurance coverage and access to care among minorities; behavioral factors affecting adherence to recommended care among individuals with diabetes; teenage childbearing and long-term economic and health consequences; parental unemployment and children’s mental health; and she has investigated the use of multisectoral city-level data to address infant mortality and child health working closely with officials from the cities of Philadelphia and Los Angeles. With a background in economics and public health, she takes into account the social and financial impacts associated with population health.
Her current research agenda is focused on improving quantitative methodologies and coordinating data interoperability to investigate population health. She incorporates variables that address the social determinants of health, including, for example, socioeconomic status, education, access, the physical environment, employment and social support networks.
Over the years, her research has been funded by government agencies, including the National Science Foundation, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and private foundations, including the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, WT Grant Foundation and NYS Health Foundation.
- Delivery and Payment Redesign to Reduce Disparities in High Risk Postpartum Care. Howell EA, Padrón NA, Beane SJ, Stone J, Walther V, Balbierz A, Kumar R, Pagán JA. Matern Child Health J. 2017 Mar;21(3):432-438.
- The effects of teenage childbearing on adult soft skills development. J Fletcher, N Padron Journal of Population Economics, 2016;29 (3); 883-910.
- Patient-Centered Medical Home Features and Health Care Expenditures of Medicare Beneficiaries with Chronic Disease Dyads. Philpot LM, Stockbridge EL, Padrón NA, Pagán JA. Popul Health Manag. 2016;19(3):206-11.
- Heterogeneity in Spousal Matching Models. J Fletcher, P Norma. IZA Discussion Paper Series, 2015
- Preferences, beliefs, and self-management of diabetes. Sloan FA, Padrón NA, Platt AC. Health Serv Res. 2009;44(3):1068-87.
- Chronic Illness and Nursing Homes. FA Sloan, NA Padrón, AC Platt, 2009
- La gobernanza de los sistemas sanitarios. ¿Qué evalúan los indicadores de gobernanza? N Padron. El buen gobierno sanitario, 2009;85-102.
- Community Uninsurance Spillovers and the Quality of Specialized Health Care. JA Pagán, MV Pauly, DDL Sheshadri, NA Padrón. Working paper, Institute for Population Health Policy, University of Texas, 2007