- Hubei Medical College
- Henan Medical University
- Henan Medical University
- University of Bern
Memberships & Activities
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Internal Medicine
- International Society for Computerized Electrocardiology
Dr. Gan-Xin Yan’s laboratory is the hub of basic cardiovascular research activity at Lankenau Medical Center (LMC) and Lankenau Institute for Medical Research (LIMR). The combination of roles that Dr. Yan serves—he is both a practicing electrophysiologist and a research scientist—gives him a unique perspective and contributes greatly to the success of basic cardiovascular research at LIMR.
Dr. Yan is considered a world-renowned expert for his research into sudden cardiac death and the causes behind it. He studies arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats) to determine which patients might be at highest risk for sudden death. He has held an active role on the expert consensus panel for Early Repolarization Syndrome and J wave syndromes. He also served as a co-editor, together with Drs. Peter Kowey and Charles Antzelevitch, for two textbooks on cardiac electrophysiology.
Dr. Yan’s team focuses on exploring the mechanisms responsible for sudden cardiac death under various clinical conditions, including life-threatening rapid and irregular heart beats, myocardial infarction, and enlarged and weakened heart. Those cardiovascular studies, from the organ to a single isolated cardiac cell, have contributed a great deal to our understanding of normal electrophysiology, as well as electrical disturbances in heart disease. Recently, his lab started a new project with a focus on an ionic current (late sodium current), which is involved in a variety of cardiac arrhythmias. The information obtained from this project has been successfully translated into clinical practice.
An animal atrial and ventricular wedge preparation model developed by Dr. Yan has proven to be a versatile tool in defining the cellular basis of repolarization waves and defining the mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmias in various pathophysiological states. A number of pharmaceutical companies have used this model for drug research and development.
Dr. Yan’s research team has won support from industry, the American Heart Association, and the National Institutes of Health, as well as corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Gender Differences in Patients with Brugada Syndrome and Arrhythmic Events: Data from a Survey on Arrhythmic Events in 678 Patients. Milman A, Gourraud JB, …Yan GX, et al. Heart Rhythm. 2018 Jun 13.
- Fever-Related Arrhythmic Events in the Multicenter Survey on Arrhythmic Events in Brugada Syndrome (SABRUS). Michowitz Y, Milman A, Sarquella-Brugada G, Yan GX, et al. Heart Rhythm. Apr 9, 2018.
- Meta-analysis of T-wave indices for risk stratification in myocardial infarction. Tse G, Wong CW, Yan GX, et al. International Health Informatics Study (IHIS) Network. J Geriatr Cardiol. 2017 Dec;14(12):776-779.
- Meta-analysis of Tpeak-Tend and Tpeak-Tend/QT ratio for risk stratification in congenital long QT syndrome. Tse G, Gong M, Yan GX, et al. J Electrocardiol. 2018 Mar 6, 2018.
- Prolonged corrected QT interval in predicting atrial fibrillation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Zhang N, Gong M, Tse G, Zhang Z, Meng L, Yan BP, Zhang L, Wu G, Xia Y, Xin-Yan G, Li G, Liu T. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2018 Jan 30.
- Inhibitory Effect of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor on the Slowly Activating Delayed Rectifier Potassium Current in Guinea Pig Ventricular Myocytes. Lin Z, Xing W, Gao C, Wang X, Qi D, Dai G, Zhao W, Yan G. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018 Jan 26;7(3).
- A meta-analysis on the prognostic significance of inferolateral early repolarization pattern in Brugada syndrome. Georgopoulos S, Letsas KP, Liu T, Kalafateli M, Korantzopoulos P, Bürkle G, Vlachos K, Giannopoulos G, Efremidis M, Deftereos S, Sideris A, Takagi M, Yan GX, Ehrlich JR. Europace. 2017 Jan 13.
- Translational science approach for assessment of cardiovascular effects and proarrhythmogenic potential of the beta-3 adrenergic agonist mirabegron. Korstanje C, Suzuki M, Yuno K, Yan GX, et al. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2017 Apr 20.
- J-Wave syndromes expert consensus conference report: Emerging concepts and gaps in knowledge. Antzelevitch C, Yan GX, Ackerman MJ, et al. Europace. 2017 Apr 1;19(4):665-694.
- The Tpeak - Tend interval as an electrocardiographic risk marker of arrhythmic and mortality outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Tse G, Gong M, Wong WT, Georgopoulos S, Letsas KP, Vassiliou VS, Chan YS, Yan BP, Wong SH, Wu WKK, Ciobanu A, Li G, Shenthar J, Saguner AM, Ali-Hasan-Al-Saegh S, Bhardwaj A, Sawant AC, Whittaker P, Xia Y, Yan GX, Liu T. Heart Rhythm. 2017 May 26. pii: S1547-5271(17)30645-8.
- Synergistic Effect of Dofetilide and Mexiletine on Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation. Liu G, Xue X, Gao C, Huang J, Qi D, Zhang Y, Dong JZ, Ma CS, Yan GX. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 May 18;6(5). pii: e005482.
- Frailty and Mortality Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Tse G, Gong M, Nunez J, Sanchis J, Li G, Ali-Hasan-Al-Saegh S, Wong WT, Wong SH, Wu WKK, Bazoukis G, Yan GX, et al. International Health Informatics Study (IHIS) Network. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017 Oct 24. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2017.09.002
- My Approach to early repolarization syndrome. Yan GX. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2016 Jan 29. pii: S1050-1738(16)00019-0.
- The Early Repolarization Pattern: A Consensus Paper. Macfarlane PW, Antzelevitch C, Haissaguerre M, Huikuri HV, Potse M, Rosso R, Sacher F, Tikkanen JT, Wellens H, Yan GX. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Jul 28;66(4):470-7.
- How to determine cardiac ion channels targeted by drugs using the isolated rabbit ventricular wedge model. Liu G, Liu T, Cohen D, Liu T, Yan GX. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2016 May 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- J-Wave syndromes expert consensus conference report: Emerging concepts and gaps in knowledge: Endorsed by the Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society (APHRS), the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA), the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS), and the Latin American Society of Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology (Sociedad Latinoamericana de Estimulación Cardíaca y Electrofisiología [SOLAECE]). Antzelevitch C, Yan GX, Ackerman MJ, Borggrefe M, Corrado D, Guo J, Gussak I, Hasdemir C, Horie M, Huikuri H, Ma C, Morita H, Nam GB, Sacher F, Shimizu W, Viskin S, Wilde AA. Heart Rhythm. 2016 Jul 11.
- Assessment of drug-induced proarrhythmia: The importance of study design in the rabbit left ventricular wedge model. Lu HR, Gallacher DJ, Yan GX. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2016 Jun 29. pii: S1056-8719(16)30062-4.
- The role of ranolazine in the prevention and treatment of atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Gong M, Zhang Z, Fragakis N, Korantzopoulos P, Letsas KP, Li G, Yan GX, Liu T. Heart Rhythm. 2016 Oct 13.
- J Wave Syndromes: History and Current Controversies. Liu T, Zheng J, Yan GX. Korean Circ J. 2016 Sep;46(5):601-609.
- Enhanced effect of VEGF165 on L-type calcium currents in guinea-pig cardiac ventricular myocytes. Xing W, Gao C, Qi D, Zhang Y, Hao P, Dai G, Yan G. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016 Dec 7.
- Notching early repolarization pattern in inferior leads increases risk of ventricular tachyarrhythmias in patients with acute myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis. Zhang Z, Letsas KP, Yang Y, Korantzopoulos P, Li G, Yan GX, Liu T. Sci Rep. 2015 Nov 2;5:15845.
- Cellular Basis of J Wave Syndromes (Invited Review). Badri M, Patel A, Yan GX:. Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine 2015; 25:12-21.
- J Wave Syndromes: A Decade of Progress. Li GL, Yang L, Cui CC, Sun CF, Yan GX. Chinese Medical Journal 2015;128:969.
- Heterogeneous distribution of I Na-L determines interregional differences in rate adaptation of repolarization. Qi D, Yang Z, Robinson VM, Li J, Gao C, Guo D, Kowey PR, Yan GX. Heart Rhythm 2015;12:1295-1303.
- J-wave syndromes: Brugada and early repolarization syndromes. Antzelevitch C and Yan GX. Heart Rhythm 2015;12:1852-1866.
- Mexiletine Prevents Recurrent Torsades de Pointes in Acquired Long QT Syndrome Refractory to Conventional Measures. Badri M, Patel A, Patel C, Liu G, Goldstein M, Robinson VM, Xue X, Yang L, Kowey PR, Yan GX. JACC EP 2015;1:315-322.