Lankenau Medical Center, a 370-bed community academic medical center in the Philadelphia suburbs, is seeking a new fellowship program director in cardiovascular disease. Our 43-year-old fellowship program has a rich history of creating outstanding clinical leaders in cardiovascular medicine and is seeking a new program director to continue our tradition of academic and clinical excellence while enhancing our trainees’ readiness for cardiology practice.

Program and hospital details

  • Lankenau is a part of the four-hospital Main Line Health system and is located in Wynnewood Pennsylvania, 200 yards from the City of Philadelphia
  • Fifteen-trainee fellowship program with 30 faculty members
  • Part of a thriving GME culture that includes seven ACGME-accredited residency programs and seven ACGME-accredited fellowships across two hospitals including interventional cardiology, clinical cardiac electrophysiology, and an unaccredited structural fellowship
  • University affiliation with, and academic appointments through, the Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
  • An extremely “healthy” fellowship program with current ACGME accreditation, no citations, and no AFIs
  • The Lankenau Institute for Medical Research (LIMR) is located on site and is a center for cutting-edge clinical and bench research in cardiovascular disease
  • Exceptionally vigorous research programs both inside and outside of LIMR
    • More than 41 active clinical trials in various phases at LIMR
    • Main Line Health, via LIMR, is currently participating in four FDA Early Feasibility Studies (EFS), usually restricted to three to five centers worldwide. We are the national Principle Investigator for two of those four studies
    • Site of the first patient in U.S. percutaneous left atrial-to-coronary sinus shunt for end stage heart failure under compassionate-use protocol. Now one of four U.S. sites enrolling into the EFS Edwards Transcatheter Atrial Shunt System (Alt-FLOW study)
    • Lankenau physician collaboration with fellows to provide support for retrospective research projects leading to publication
    • Other active trials in Main Line Health include PARTNER 3, Portico CAP, ACURATE-IDE, CONFORMAL EFS, APOLLO, DISRUPT PAD III, TOBA II, ILLUMINATE BTK, IMPERIAL, Cardioband TRICUSPID EFS, Alt FLOW EFS, CREST 2, AMULET, and TANGO
  • A fascinating and diverse patient mix from both suburban and urban communities
  • Fellows routinely take nuclear and echo boards during fellowship
  • Extremely active ventricular assist program that resides in Cardiology with VV and VA ECMO (50–60 per year), left and right Impella, and Tandem Heart programs
  • Second in the region and in top 10 percent of TAVR programs nationwide
  • Lankenau is the most active robotic coronary bypass heart surgery program in the United States with a minimally invasive approach used in 70 percent of all cardiac surgery procedures

Position details

  • The new program director would potentially have a July 1, 2020 start date
  • The program director will have 30 percent dedicated time for administrative, educational and research efforts on behalf of the program with the remaining 70 percent expected to be devoted to maintaining a clinical practice at Lankenau Medical Center
  • Candidates must have at least five years of participation as an active faculty member in an ACGME-accredited internal medicine residency or cardiovascular disease fellowship program and must be board certified in Cardiovascular Disease by the ABIM
  • Candidates should have outstanding teaching, clinical, administrative, research and communication skills
  • Candidates should have recent scholarly activity with publication of original research or reviews in peer-reviewed journals, textbooks or respected online resource chapters, and participation in national meetings or societies

Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to Rose Caione, physician recruiter, at 484.580.4146 or email caioner@mlhs.org.