Fellows in the Lankenau Medical Center Gastroenterology Fellowship Program attend the following conferences. All conferences are held in Room 112 of the Medical Office Building West with the exception of the X-ray Conference, which is held in the Radiology Department and the Pathology Conference which will be held in the Pathology Conference Room.
- Clinical Case Conference – This Conference is held every Tuesday afternoon from 4:00–5:00 pm Generally, one or two clinical cases of interest are presented by either the GI fellow or attending. The case is discussed and critically reviewed. Subsequently the presenter will provide a review of the literature in order to impart future guidelines for similar cases.
- Pathology Conference – This Conference is held one afternoon a month, generally on a Tuesday from 4:30–5:30 pm One of the pathologists will review various slides with the members of the Division of Gastroenterology as well as the fellows. These conferences are designed to review all gastrointestinal pathology in a sequential fashion.
- Faculty "Topics" Conference – Every Wednesday from 7:15–8:00 am, a teaching attending will meet with the fellows and review specific topics in gastroenterology as outlined by the major gastrointestinal text. The purpose of these lectures are to assure that the fellows have a formal didactic presentation on all major gastrointestinal disease states.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference – The Morbidity and Mortality Conference takes place the second Wednesday of the month from 8:00–9:00 am in the Lankenau Auditorium. All fellows are required to attend.
- Journal Club – Journal Club is held one Thursday per month from 7:30–8:30 am as designated by our Conference Schedule. The purpose of the Journal Club is to provide a brief statement of GI articles in the medical and gastrointestinal journals. Each fellow will be assigned a journal to present. Attending physicians will also present the journals. A total of five articles are generally presented. These articles are discussed and critically reviewed. The articles generally come from the Journal of Gastroenterology, American Journal of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Digestive Disease and Science, Gut, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, JAMA, and Annals of Internal Medicine.
- Physiology Conference – One Thursday a month a fellow will present a physiology conference on a specific topic. This discussion needs to be complete and detailed in its presentation. Handouts should be made available to all attending the conference. A visual aid such as PowerPoint is desirable.
- X-ray Conference – The multi-departmental X-ray Conference is scheduled one Thursday morning a month. Attendees include members of the Radiology Department, Surgical Staff and Surgical Residents, Gastroenterology Attendings and Fellows as well as interested Medical Residents. The conference involves reviewing interesting radiologic studies and clinically discussing the cases.
- GI/Surgical Conference – The GI/Surgical Conference takes place one Thursday a month from 7:30–8:30 am The Conference involves presenting two or three GI/Surgical cases, at least one of the cases is presented by a GI fellow and at least one other presented by a Surgical Resident. The presentation of the cases should be complete and informative. The fellow presenting the case should be aware of the specifics of the case and be knowledgeable of the disease entity involved.
- Monthly Gastroenterology/Oncology Conference – This is a multidisciplinary conference held once a month and attended by Gastroenterologists, surgeons, oncologists, radiation therapists, pathologists, fellows, residents and students. The most recent gastrointestinal and cancer cases are reviewed and both diagnostic and therapeutic recommendations are made.
- Grand Rounds – Held every Friday morning at 8:00 am in the Lankenau Auditorium. Fellows are encouraged to attend.
- Research Conference – This is a monthly Conference during which the fellow is expected to present his or her work to date and present a time line addressing completion and presentation for publication. All attendings physicians are expected to attend this Research Conference in order to provide constructive criticism and advice to the fellow. Periodically during these Research Conferences, members of the Research Department will present ongoing bench research being performed at the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research as it pertains to gastroenterology.
- Nutrition Conference – The Nutrition Conference occurs on a monthly schedule which will be made available to you.
Additionally, significant formal instruction takes place on a day-to-day basis with the fellows, residents and students during rounds.
Fellows are encouraged to attend Philadelphia GI Group conferences which take place on a regular basis throughout the year, and Internal Medicine noon conferences, particularly those that may be specifically relevant to gastroenterology, hepatology, quality of life, and ethics issues. Attendance of conferences at both Jefferson Hospital and the University of Pennsylvania Hospital are also encouraged.