Electrical Burns

Electrical burns occur when there is contact with an electricity, either alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC).

Caring for an electrical burn:

  • Call or send someone to call 911 for emergency medical assistance. Significant electrical injuries will need medical care.

  • Unplug the appliance or device that has caused the injury or turn off the electrical current.

  • If the child is in contact with the electrical current do not touch them until you turn off the source or the circuit breaker.

  • Determine that the child is still breathing. If the child is not breathing, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

  • Cover the burned area with a sterile gauze bandage or clean bed sheet.

  • Maintain your child's normal body temperature, and take the child to an emergency center.

  • Be aware that a child may experience "shock" after an electrical burn. If your child is showing signs of shock, send someone to call 911 immediately.

  • Do not give your child anything to eat or drink.

  • Place the child on his/her back, unless a neck or back injury is suspected.

  • If the child has vomited or has a serious injury to the face or mouth area, you may lay the child on his/her side.

  • Keep your child warm with blankets or extra clothing, but do not use a heat source to warm them.

  • Elevate your child's feet and legs, using a prop or pillow.

What are the symptoms of shock?

The following are the most common symptoms of shock. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms of shock may include:

  • cold sweat

  • weakness

  • irregular breathing

  • chills

  • pale or blue-colored lips

  • pale or blue-colored fingernails

  • a fast, but weak pulse

  • nausea

The symptoms may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Consult your child's physician immediately for diagnosis and treatment.


STAY CONNECTED

Copyright 2014 Main Line Health

Printed from: www.mainlinehealth.org/stw/Page.asp?PageID=STW040279

The information provided in this Web site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for medical advice. All medical information presented should be discussed with your healthcare professional. See additional Terms of Use at www.mainlinehealth.org/terms. For more information, call 1.866.CALL.MLH.