Frequently Asked Questions About Vulvar Cancer

Q: How can someone get a second opinion for vulvar cancer?

A: There are many ways to get a second opinion.

  • Ask a primary care doctor. A primary doctor may be able to recommend a specialist such as a gynecologic oncologist, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, or plastic surgeon. Sometimes these doctors work together at cancer centers or programs.

  • Call the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service. The number is 800-4-CANCER (800-422-6237). They have information about treatment facilities, including cancer centers and other programs supported by the National Cancer Institute.

  • Consult the Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists. This reference book by the American Board of Medical Specialists lists doctors by state and specialty, and gives information about their background. It is available at most public libraries. It can also be viewed online at

  • Seek other options. Check with a local medical society, a nearby hospital, a medical school, or local cancer advocacy groups. Or talk with other women who've had vulvar cancer to get names of specialists who can give you a second opinion.


Copyright 2014 Main Line Health

Printed from:

The information provided in this Web site is for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for medical advice. All medical information presented should be discussed with your healthcare professional. See additional Terms of Use at For more information, call 1.866.CALL.MLH.