Thirsty? Then your body is on its way to becoming dehydrated.
The average adult has 10 to 12 gallons of water in his or her body, accounting for 60 percent of body weight. That water plays a critical role in nearly every bodily process. And being a quart or two low can affect how you feel. Water is key in body temperature regulation.
Nearly everything you do during the day -- typing, talking, walking, even eating -- requires energy. That energy, in turn, generates heat, which escapes the body through perspiration. Perspiration is the mechanism that keeps the body cool.
Most adults lose about 1.5 liters of fluid a day in urine. An additional liter is lost through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. An average woman needs about 11 cups of water (2.7 liters) -- from all beverages and foods -- each day, and the average man needs about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters), according to 2004 recommendations from the Institute of Medicine. Because about 80 percent of a person's total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages -- including caffeinated beverages -- and the remaining 20 percent comes from food, the average woman should drink about nine cups of liquid a day; the average man should drink about 12 cups.
These are situations that require you drink more liquid:
Being in hot or humid weather
Indoor heating during wintertime that causes dry air
Being at a high altitude
Illnesses that cause high fever, diarrhea, vomiting or urinary tract infections
Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Dehydration occurs when the body does not have as much water and fluids as it should. Dehydration can be caused by not drinking enough water or by losing too much fluid. Infants, children, the elderly and people with certain illnesses are especially vulnerable to dehydration.
The loss of just 2 to 3 percent of body-water weight can affect some of the functions in the body. Dehydration is classified as mild, moderate or severe, depending on how much fluid is lost or not replaced. Mild or moderate dehydration can be treated by drinking small amounts of fluid; drinking too much too quickly can cause vomiting. Severe dehydration is a life-threatening emergency and requires medical treatment.
These are symptoms of dehydration that mean you should call your health care provider:
Low or no urine output; concentrated urine appears dark yellow
Lack of tears
In an infant, markedly sunken fontanels (the soft spot on the top of the head)
Lethargic or comatose
To guard against dehydration, drink up. Don't depend on feeling thirsty, though. Thirst may not be a reliable guide to tell you when you are dehydrated, especially for older adults. Drink more when the weather is hot, you are exercising or ill. Urine that is light yellow is a good indication that you are getting enough fluid.
© 2014 Main Line Health