Hospital opened on February 18, 1963, as a direct result of the
wishes of Samuel D. Riddle. A native of Delaware County, Mr. Riddle
owned and operated a woolen mill business. He was best known however, as
a sportsman and the breeder of fine race horses — the most famous of
which were Man O' War and War Admiral.
Upon his death in January of 1951, Mr. Riddle's will stipulated that his
estate be used to provide a hospital for the community of Media which he
With the $2.5 million and the 72 acres of land provided by Mr. Riddle, a
charter for the hospital was granted on November 29, 1956 to the members
of the Board of Directors. Charles A. McCafferty, a local businessman
who was actively engaged in many area service organizations, including
the Rotary Club of Media, was the first president of the Board and
oversaw the construction of the Hospital.
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on September 17, 1960 with the final
construction completed two and a half years later. Riddle Hospital
opened with 144-bed capacity and 16 bassinets.
In August of 1964, Riddle Hospital was fully
accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare
Today, Riddle Hospital has grown to a 204-bed
hospital with 23 transitional care center beds. Riddle Hospital
continues to grow and offer new services to meet the needs of our
growing community. All of this evolved from one man's dream into almost
fifty years of community-based, quality healthcare.
New Appointments 1.866.CALL.MLH or 484.580.1000
1068 West Baltimore Pike
Media, PA 19063
For more information, call 1.866.CALL.MLH.