John B. Deaver Auxiliary of the Women's Board of Lankenau Medical
Center, was named after Lankenau’s highly esteemed surgeon, John Blair
Deaver, MD. This volunteer organization has contributed many years of
service to and fundraising for Lankenau Medical Center.
The Deaver Auxiliary was organized in March, 1934 by Florence Mary Dreer
Hessenbruch. Mrs. Hessenbruch also served as the Auxiliary’s first
President. The first meeting of the Auxiliary took place on April 9,
1934 with 17 members present.
From its modest beginning as a service organization making surgical
dressings for the hospital, the Auxiliary has grown into ever-expanding
activities, interests and programs. Today the primary focus of the
Auxiliary is fundraising in support of Lankenau’s progressive expansion
of programs and services that enhance patient care. Over the years, the
money raised has contributed to the establishment of Lankenau’s
Ambulatory Surgery Unit, a Labor/Delivery/Recovery Room and the
Outpatient Physical Therapy Room. The Auxiliary also equipped the
Histology Lab in the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research and
contributed to the renovation of the Emergency Department. More
recently, funds raised supported The Women’s Board’s $1 million
commitment to the Life Begins at Lankenau campaign, which involved a
major renovation and expansion of the Mother/Baby and Neonatal Intensive
Care Unit. In 2011 the Women’s Board made its second $1 million pledge,
this time in support of the Master Facility Project—the largest
expansion and renovation project in Lankenau’s history.
The achievements and generosity of the Deaver Auxiliary are a true
reflection of the resourcefulness and inspired nature of its members.
The Auxiliary’s involvement at Lankenau has proven to be monumental
throughout the course of Lankenau’s 150 year history—and shows much
promise for our future.
For questions about the John B. Deaver Auxiliary of Lankenau Medical
Center, please contact Sue Williamson, Administrative Assistant
For more information, call 1.866.CALL.MLH.