From its very inception, Lankenau Medical Center has been guided by the
extraordinary vision, personal commitment and determination of its
Conceived by two German-born
Philadelphia physicians, and after ten years of their efforts to bring
the idea to fruition, the German Hospital of the City of Philadelphia
was granted a charter by the Pennsylvania legislature in 1860.
The Hospital's express purpose was to
meet the needs of its German-speaking community. Its founding would set
in motion what would become a long tradition of groundbreaking medical
care, education and research, driven by the dedication of its physicians
and scientists, and their patients.
Today, leaders among Lankenau's
physicians and scientists affirm their commitment to the institution
they call home through membership in the 1860 Society. Established in
2013, the 1860 Society honors the philanthropic investment of those
physicians who share in the same altruistic vision of Lankenau's
founders. The vision of a Lankenau physician, the Society consists
of current and emeritus physicians and scientists who have pledged
$25,000 or more to support Lankenau Medical Center
programs and services.
In just a matter of months after its
inception, the 1860 Society grew from an initial core group of nine to
38 members whose commitments now total more than $1.1 million. To honor
these 38 Charter Members of the Society, who were eager and willing to
lead by example, a permanent plaque listing their names will be
displayed at Lankenau Medical Center
for years to come.
So far, the 1860
Society commitments have supported
areas including fellowships, surgical education, cardiovascular
services, breast care, cancer research and the Master Facility Project
just to name a few. In addition to the incredible and direct impact that
these resources have, this physician-led philanthropy is also a
tremendous show of support and vote of confidence in our present and
future, and a demonstration of the impact of the culture of philanthropy
Lankenau Medical Center Development Office
Medical Office Building East, Suite 564
100 East Lancaster Avenue
Wynnewood, PA 19096
For more information, call 1.866.CALL.MLH.